WBS for Cheap Social Housing / Apartments
A WBS (short for Wohnberechtigungsschein) is a certificate that gives you access to social housing in Germany. You can get it if you have a low income. Some apartments are reserved only for people with a WBS.
Questions & Answers
Who can get a WBS? 
You must have
- a legal residence permit for Germany for at least 1 year
- or EU citizenship
Also your income must not be too high. Check this table at Wikipedia for details.
Examples from the table:
- A single person in Berlin must not earn more than 16.800€ per year.
- A family with 1 child in Stuttgart must not earn more than 25.200€ + 700€ = 25.900€ per year.
Where is a WBS valid? 
A WBS is only valid in the state (Bundesland) it was issued. So a WBS from Berlin cannot be used in Potsdam, only in Berlin.
How long is a WBS valid? 
A WBS is valid for one year. You usually only need it for moving in. If your income increases later, this should not be a problem.
Where can I get a WBS? 
You can get a WBS at your Wohnungsamt (housing department) of your city. For instance, if you live in Berlin, google Wohnungsamt WBS Berlin
- Print and fill out the necessary forms. Here's a translated version of the Berlin info page.
- Send the application by mail to your Wohnungsamt.
- Get a cheap flat with a WBS by BerlinCheap.com – detailed guide on how to obtain a WBS
- Get access to cheap rents in Berlin as a foreigner using a WBS document by germanyso.com