Registration & Temporary Residence in Czechia
If you stay in Czechia for more than 30 days, you must register at a Foreign Police Department. If staying longer than 3 months, you can apply for Temporary residence.
Report your arrival
You must report your arrival if you plan to stay longer than 30 days in the Czech republic. To do this,
- find your Foreigners Police Department based on your region (kraj). In Prague, it is in Olšanská 2176/2, Prague 3.
- go there during their opening times (look here for Úřední hodiny)
- a travel document (ID or passport)
- proof of residence (e.g.: rental contact)
- health insurance (e.g. EHIC card)
- if possible: proof of arrival date (e.g. train / plane tickets)
It should take only one appointment to get the registration done.
If you change your name, travel document, place of living, you must report this within 15 / 30 working days.
Optional: Apply for Temporary residence
If you stay longer than 3 months, you can apply for Temporary Residence (Přechodný pobyt).
Benefits of Temporary residence
- easier application for Czech bank accounts (but it is also possible without)
- it is mandatory for credit cards, overdraft, mortgage, driving lessons
- you get Rodné číslo (national Identity number)
How to apply
In addition to the requirements for registration, you need:
- a photograph
- proof of the purpose of you stay (Studies, research, employment, business, family unification)