Find & Order a German Electricity Provider
When do I need an electricity provider?
- If you rent (or buy) an apartment or house directly from a landlord.
You usually don't need an electricity contract
- when you sublet an apartment or room.
How to order and pay an electricity supplier?
- Find out whether your warm water is heated by
- your own electricity,
- or instead by gas or even delivered from your landlord (central heating)
- Estimate your consumption. Typical:
- 1-person household: 1600 kWh (no water heating) / 2100 kWh (with water heating)
- 2-person household: 2300 kWh (no water heating) / 3400 kWh (with water heating)
- 3-person household: 3100 kWh (no water heating) / 4400 kWh (with water heating)
- 4-person household: 4000 kWh (no water heating) / 5500 kWh (with water heating)
- 5-person household: 4500 kWh (no water heating) / 6700 kWh (with water heating)
- Compare providers or pick a provider from the list below. Key factors to look at:
- Grundpreis (basic fee): fixed fee to pay per month
- Arbeitspreis (consumption price): what you pay per kWh used
- bonuses: are often available for new customers (but some are only paid out after a year, so be careful to check also cancellation policies)
- Order online
- Based on your consumption estimation, they calculate a monthly prepayment rate for you. Pay that rate now every month.
- After a year (usually), they measure your actual consumption.
- If you used less than your estimation, you will get money back and your monthly prepayment rate will be lowered.
- If you used more than your estimation, you will need to pay the difference and your monthly prepayment rate will be raised.
Compare electricity providers
List of electricity providers
Video guide for signing up with Eprimo*:
- Cheapest German Electricity Providers by BerlinCheap.com
- How do electric bills work in Germany? by AllAboutBerlin.com
- Set up a contract with an electricity supplier Germany settle-in-berlin.com
- Comparison of Best German Electricity Providers by movingto-berlin.com
* Links marked with a star (*) are affiliate links. If you click on such a link and then shop or order something, we will receive a commission for your purchase with which we can cover our expenses and keep the site free of ads. This does not change the price for you.