Electricity Providers in Germany
If you rent an apartment on your name (and don't sublet), you likely need to make a contract with an electricity provider. Read here how to find, compare & sign up with one.
Questions & Answers
When do I need an electricity provider? 
- If you rent an apartment or house directly from a landlord.
You usually don't need an electricity contract
- if you sublet an apartment or room (from another person), or
- if you rent your apartment or room with an "all-inclusive" contract like via Airbnb or similar.
If in doubt, ask your landlord.
How does electricity and energy billing work in Germany? 
With your (warm) rent (Warmmiete), you already pay for energy consumption, like
- heating your apartment
- water heating
- lights of common areas in your house, like Corridor lighting
But for energy in your apartment, used for/from:
- power sockets
- stove & oven (if electric)
- water heating (if electric)
you need to make a contract with an electricity supplier.
How to choose an electricity supplier? 
You will need your postal code postal code because prices are different by area. (Use Google maps to find it.)
- Find out whether your warm water is heated by
- your electricity,
- or instead by gas or even delivered (district / central heating)
- Estimate your consumption with the table below.
- Pick a provider or comparison service from the list below.
- Enter your postal code and estimated consumption to get offers for you. Key factors to look at:
- Grundpreis (basic fee): fixed fee to pay per month
- Arbeitspreis (consumption price): what you pay per kWh used
- bonuses: are often available for new customers (but some are only paid out after a year, so make sure they actually give you a benefit)
How to sign up with an electricity provider? 
How do I get billed for my electricity consumption? 
- Based on your consumption estimation, your electricity provider will calculate a monthly prepayment rate. This prepayment rate will be
- either deducted from your bank account, if you agreed to direct debit (Lastschrift)
- or you will need to transfer it yourself every month.
- After a year (usually), they measure your actual consumption.
- If you used less than your estimation, you will get money back and your monthly prepayment rate will be lowered.
- If you used more than your estimation, you will need to pay the difference and your monthly prepayment rate will be raised.
Average & Ideal Consumption Rates
To estimate your electricity consumption, you can go by average consumptions per year of German households, as shown in the table below. Additionally, ideal consumptions are shown (if savings potentials are used). 
|Household size||Average, with electric water heating||Average, without electric water heating||Ideal (minimized) consumption|
|1 person||2100 kWh||1500 kWh||800-1300 kWh|
|2 person||3400 kWh||2500 kWh||1300-2100 kWh|
|3 person||4400 kWh||3500 kWh||1700-2600 kWh|
|4 person||5500 kWh||4250 kWh||1900-2900 kWh|
Find an Electricity Provider
You can make a contract with any German provider, no matter where you live. So even if you live in Berlin, you can make a contract with a provider from Hamburg, Cologne, Frankfurt, or Munich.
List of German Electricity Providers
Here are common German electricity companies with their Trustpilot rating:
- ostrom: English support 🇬🇧, min. term: 11 days, allows prepayment adjustments at any time
- Polarstern: min. term: 1 month
- Vattenfall: minimum term: 12 months
- LEW: min. term: 12 months
- eprimo: min. term: 12 months
Compare German Electricity Providers
Instead of comparing offers yourself, you can use a comparison service. Enter your postal code & estimated consumption, and get a list of offers.
- Review of green electricity companies by goodlifegermany.com
- How You Will Benefit from Germany’s Strompreisbremse (Energy Price Brake) by ostrom.de
- "Stromverbrauch: Durchschnittsverbrauch Strom" – source, retrieved 2022-06-20
- as of 2022-06-27
- This is an affiliate link. If you click on it and then buy something or sign up for a service, we may earn a commission which covers our expenses. This does not change the price for you.
- "The minimum contract period is 11 days" – source, retrieved 2022-06-22
- "you can adjust your monthly payment at all times." – source, retrieved 2022-06-22
- "Welche Konditionen bietet Polarstern? / Bei uns gibt es keine Mindestvertragslaufzeit – du kannst deinen Vertrag immer mit zwei Wochen Frist zum Monatsende kündigen." – source, retrieved 2022-06-22
- "Mindestvertragslaufzeit: 12 Monate" – source, retrieved 2022-06-22
- "Kündigungsfristen bei eprimo" – source, retrieved 2022-07-01