Mobile Telephony in Germany
Questions & answers about mobile phone providers for homes, links & guides to comparisons.
Questions & Answers
Can I use my SIM card from another country in Germany? 
Yes, if your provider allows roaming (which it does very likely). You might need to enable it, especially data roaming.
In Germany, the following standards are in operation:
- 2G (EDGE)
- 3G (UMTS)
- 4G (LTE)
- and partially starting with 5G
How much does it cost to use my foreign SIM card Germany? 
SIM card from another EU country
If your foreign SIM card is from another EU country, then the EU roaming regulations apply. Basically:
- You pay the same rates as if you were in the home country of your SIM card.
- However, after 4 months being abroad your home SIM card provider has the right the cancel the contract, as they can assume that you now live in Germany.
SIM Card from a Non-EU country
It totally depends on the rates of your SIM card provider.
When Do I need a German SIM card? 
- When you want to be reachable by a German (mobile) number.
- When you want a flat rate for calls to German (mobile) numbers, and your current provider does not offer it.
- When you do not habe EU roaming, or when it stopped working.
SIM Card offers
Here are selected offers suitable for expats.
- Vodafone CallYa: Prepaid SIM (no minimum term) with unlimited calls & SMS to Germany, 200 min/SMS to EU countries and 100 min/SMS to Turkey, roaming within EU:
- €9.99 / month with 3 GB data
- €14.99 / month with 6 GB data
- Sipgate prepaid: Prepaid eSIM (no minimum term) with bookable packages:
- unlimited calls/SMS to all EU countries: €19.95
- mobile and free landline number in Germany
- roaming with EU
Below are 3 sub-pages, each one with a customizable calculator: Select your preferred network operator and for example also the data volume you need per month and get a regularly updated list of results.
- Long and detailed guide for Germany at Prepaid Data SIM Card Wiki
- This is an affiliate link. If you click on it and then buy something or sign up for a service, we may earn a commission which covers our expenses. This does not change the price for you.